28 January, 2012

Snowpedding or how a few hours and mags can make a Tomos magical

I have owned a fairly large amount of tomos mopeds. I have had a tomos tri-rad at one point. I got a free tomos a long time ago and rode it around forever. At one point I got t boned by a car on it so I took the frame from my tomos Tri-rad and bolted all the non ruined stuff from the wrecked frame and made a bike for my then girlfriend. I eventualy traded that tomos (after about 5,000 trouble free miles) for another bike (MMM Derbi anyone?) then after a few years I bought that damn bike back. I rode the shit out of it. crashed it a few times and jumped it off any thing and everything I could. I rode it every where. I put at least another 3,00 miles on it. I then traded it to crusty Eric. He only had a shitty honda express that was at one point stolen spray painted poorly and then recovered. its a sad sad honda express. So he got the Tomos a3. Its got all stock parts other than no airbox and a real old BITURBO with a carb cleaner baffle.
so yeah I trade him this biker and he ends up getting a set of sweet gold mags for it and I helped him rewire it and we got it running pretty good so since it was snowing we rallied the shit out of it even though there were no brake cables hooked up.
With spokes for now...

I love the Tomos font on these old a3 frames. Oh and we didnt have a piston stop handy and needed to clean the points. Rope ftw.

this bike was a tri-rad originally so it never had a kickstand, we borrowed one from Johnny fucker and that plpus screwdriver= this

Hello?

 Here come the mags. We had to do a fair amount of modification to get the TOMOS mags to fit on a TOMOS moped. Really I mean the front wheel took like an hour or more to get set up propperly. The forks even needed a bit of welding on the brake stop to make em real safe. the back was worse. The swing arm on the A3 had a way different brake stop. It had a mushroom shape kid of. well the Tomos a35 mags that eric got needed a brake hub on the swing arm that had no mushroom shape. So eric filed the shit out of his swingarm to make it fit.  The forks on this bike were fairly fucked so Eric rebuilt em and they actually functioned like real forks!

He got the bike to spark after and we got the wiring sorted and noticed some snow outside... hmm what should we do???




 After removing a whole lot of bullshit wires we got the lights to be bright as hell!!


Maybe nine months ago Eric had never ridden a moped and thought they were dumb. This picture just shows how stoked he is about fixing his Tomos. We ran almost a full tank of gas through that bike after he tuned it up, all in the snow mind you. Its a great bike and its good to see it put to good use by some one who is only going to make it better and better.



Other than that I have a 2003 Tomos targa That I just acquired. Its a vintage Uphill Battle bike. Its an A35 with a brand new alukit than I plan on Porting. IM gonna throw on my fantastical magical BENNASAR pipe and a 24 mikuni and see how she does in the races this year. I am  so excited about this bike because I love the Tomos platform and feel like this is really the bike that I can make it shine on. I have my A55 cdi with the unrestricted Ducati box that I am gonna run on it. The Ducati box makes such a huge difference over the stock box. Ive got two Alukits with the bike so Ive got room to explore as far as porting goes.
The Si YOU SOON has a lot coming up. It is got a lot of suprises and good parts going in. If I want to compete in the variated class this year on a SI Im gonna have to make it the fastest Si around.I still need to get some of the parts to make it happen but some are in the mail,  some are in my dreams for now but once its all assembled  shits gonna come together like VOLTRON.

 Oh Yeah My honda MB5 is still pretty much the best bike Ive ever owned. I Love that thing. Ive got some carbon fiber reeds to put in it tomorrow and I might put a pipe on it one day but right now im too in love with the quietness of it.
Oh and this Is Travis and I. Im the shirtless one DUH! he is gonna be the guy behind me this race season... If he isnt too scared to show up. Hi TRAVIS XOXOXOOXOXOOXOXO(OXO I had fun playing pinball with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment