20 June, 2010

25,000 + miles or how awesome Tomos mopeds are


So after many many thousands of miles my trusty Joemos failed me.  First the baffle broke off again. This is like the tenth time it has happened on this pipe. After the transmission problems I got the thing apart to see the damage. I decided while I have the whole thing apart I might as well get crazy with it and get it all rebuilt and matched up to the metra 50 kit. Heres some pictures of it all.

The thing finally quit on me.
Not much room left before the cone. I had to cut off a bit more to make my new baffle fit. I didnt take any pictures of it really But I will post some up once it is done the JB is curing as we speak.

This thing was covered in lots of grease
more greasieness
I have to drop the motor to take the head cylinder off because I am running an A55 on an A3 frame and the petcock is right where the intake wants to be. 
My clutches have lasted a long time this round.
I am running a mix mash of Tomos A3, A35 and A 55 transmission parts. It has been rock solid for me.I have had it together for a year and the clutches look fine.
the pedals on my bike went out a little over a year ago and I always knew why but figured I would show every one. why this gear is supposed to have teeth that let the pedals engage  mine has pretty much nothing.
My case has all kinds of metal shards in it. the main gear is missing half of one tooth but I dont see that being a problem.
This is why my clutch quit working.
 
Here is the old piston that has way too many miles on it and one ring too little.
New and old piston same size 

2 comments:

  1. Hey I saw that piston with the little notch where the wristpin goes through and I was wondering if you added that, or if is stock? I presume it is to get some charge into the wristpin area for cooling, any infor would be great.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The piston is stock. It came in a late 2007 a55 engine. unfortunelately it looks like tomos isnt making this piston, rings or cylinder. They changed them a little after this and use the same part number.

    ReplyDelete