20 June, 2010

Head gaskets and how I want to steal my roommates clutch

SO today I was riding the Tomos to the store on my lunch break and it decided to slip out of gear and rev like crazy. I was going pretty fast and hadnt changed or refilled my transmission fluid in a while so I figured I messed something up in the tranny or sheared my crank. the bike would run but deliver no power to the wheel.  I had to push it home and take it apart to see that the nut that holds the two clutches on in an A55 was not even on at all. I also ruined my gasket in the process. It was like 3 years old though so fuck that gasket. RTV and a cresent should put the tomos back on the road. I got the clutch back on and A new "gasket" in and it should rock. Now I just need to make a Baffle like Dans. His is working good and mine keeps falling off.
I also Got some treats today. My ciao runs best with the head gasket from a water cooled kit  so I ordered one up from treats and damn they are way too expensive. There is a shop in town that will make me 10 for$25 or so. Now that I have a master I jsut need to bring it in and get more made.  The C-word hates head gaskets and hates not having one . The last time I had fresh rings and no head gasket the nuts that hold the head on kept stripping out causing me to have to take my head off on the side of the road and remove thread particles from the studs and replace nuts all the time. So now with the new rings and head gasket + bearings  I should be rocking and way ahead of RESPONSIBLE JOHN.  I just need to go to parkrose hardware and get some new circlips. I have used mine like 5 times on  this bike and I feel like that is pushing it a bit too much on an extinct kit.
new rings for the extinct kit.
Water cooled gasket set.
Now for air cooled
 what my bearings should look like. I think I might take extra bearings and seals with me next race. I have rebuilt The C-Word so many times that it only takes me about an hour to rebuild the whole bottom end and put it back in the frame.
Anthony's clutch is on the left mine is the right. I got him his clutch from Italy and mine is the American version. I need a Euro clutch or I need to make a scooter clutch fit. That 100 mm pulley is awesome.
American
Euro.

2 comments:

  1. Do what it takes to catch me! Good luck! I'm winning the scrub league!

    ReplyDelete
  2. all the 100mm pulley does it give you more low end and it takes from your top speed. i bought a pair a while back thinking they would extend my pulley range, but after inspecting them it's obvious they have the same amount of pulley cheek, the 100mm ones are just moved out to make the pulley bigger. i gave mine to rufus and he tried them out and said the same thing.
    the stock rear pulleys are great, it's the variator up front that's lacking in range!

    ReplyDelete