17 June, 2010

Broken bearings and custom baffles

The races went ok this last weekend. I was getting the Ciao tuned pretty good then it started to make loud ass bearing noise. It got worse and worse so I stopped riding it and was going to concentrate on getting the derbi on the track. The derbis timing kept slipping. It turns out it was missing a woodruff key. So I raced the ciao with it making all kinds of wonderful noise and it got slower and slower as the race day went on.  I wasn't pushing it very hard i didn't want to ruin my kit by having bearings fly every where. I just went fast enough to stay out of last place. Here are some pics from the engine after I took it apart.

This is after I pulled the races out there was a fair  amount of shards in the bottom end.





There wasnt really any carbon build up this time. I only ran premium after this build and I still saw some signs on the underside of the piston of pinging. I am going to run a head gasket next time  My compression was over 200 and I am aiming for around 180psi.
I think I can aslo get a bit more  variation. Its hard to tune a bike with bad bearings.
Dan came over the other day to make a baffle but brought no supplies so we built one out of junk in my yard.  I didnt get a finished picture but I will next time I see his bike It sounds good, super quiet compared to his old proma one that fell of and got lost.


1 comment: